Skip to main content


Contract works insurance

Help protect your builders, your assets and yourself against loss, damage and injury – with contract works insurance.

What is contract works insurance?

Construction sites are laden with risks – with damage to equipment and bodily injury being most prevalent. Contract works insurance is designed to help offer small- to- medium-sized construction and building companies financial protection from both angles.

Product Icon Image

Public and products liability

Helps cover costly legal fees if your construction activities injure a third party – or damage their property.

  • Cover if a third party is injured or their property is damaged during construction

    As a result of builder’s negligence.

  • Up to $20 million public liability limit

    The limit of liability is the maximum amount that can be provided under the insurance policy.

  • Single project or annual turnover cover option. Transfer basis annual policy option also available

    The policy structure best suited to your business needs may vary on the size, value and risk profile of your construction projects. 

  • Products liability cover for certain risks after works have been completed

    After they have ceased to be in Insureds possession or control.

  • Coverage Australia-wide

Product Icon Image

Materials damage

Helps cover physical loss or damage to buildings, materials, equipment and more – as well as assets in transit or storage.

  • Cover for physical loss or damage to buildings, materials, temporary works and equipment that are a part of construction-related activity

    Including cover for property whilst in storage and in- transit.

  • Up to $20 million material damage liability limit 

    The limit of liability is the maximum amount that can be provided under the insurance policy.

  • Optional cover for plant and equipment damage, loss or theft up to an agreed sum insured

    $100,000 any one loss – Mmaximum $500,000 sum insured. Automatic inclusion for construction plant &and equipment up to $100,000, provided such property is notified within 60 days.

  • Existing structures up to $500,000 any one ES without referral

    $1 million maximum all existing structures. Any limits over this are referrals.

  • Coverage Australia-wide

Additional cover we can arrange

Products and services

Professional indemnity cover

Protect your business against claims of misleading advice, breach of duty and negligence with professional indemnity cover.

Learn More

Products and services

Management liability cover

Help protect your business – and your team – against management and operational risks with management liability cover.

Learn more

Products and services

Business vehicle cover

Need to travel from one job to another to keep your business running? Marsh can arrange business vehicle cover tailored to your needs.

Learn more

Why Marsh?

Why should you choose Marsh to arrange your insurance solutions?

Trusted by 130 associations

We are proud to be the endorsed insurance broker for more than 130 Australian industry groups and member associations, developing insurance solutions that help meet the risk and insurance needs of businesses across a variety of industries.

Local expertise

Our Australia-wide network of brokers have spent years at the coalface supporting business owners manage their unique risks in a fast-changing market. They keep ahead of the latest market insights both local and global and break down the jargon into your language.

Claims support

Handling an insurance claim can quickly become overwhelming, not least when your time is stretched to the limit keeping your business going in the backdrop. We help take the load off and manage, negotiate and settle claims with insurers on your behalf.

Single project cover

We can arrange cover for individual projects – on a case-by-case or ad hoc basis – when you need it most. Large-scale projects and those in natural catastrophe zones suit this form of cover well.

Large and complex projects

Our specialist brokers work with builders on projects of all sizes, types and complexities. Whatever your project, we can tailor your cover to your most relevant risk exposures.

Risk management plans

Our dedicated construction brokers are experts in your industry. We can offer you risk management and insurance advice that’s tailored to your needs – and put a risk management plan in place.

Why use a broker?

Choosing business insurance means navigating through products, coverages and policy terminology – with a sales pitch as your only guide. An experienced broker will spot your unique set of risks, match you to the right choice, and advocate for you on price.

Frequently asked questions

You aren’t legally obligated, but we highly recommend it – especially if your company offers building design advice or services.

If a client claims you made an error that led to injury, damage or financial loss, you may be liable to compensate their losses.

Yes. We can arrange monthly instalments* with a premium funder, provided you meet certain criteria.

To arrange monthly payments, talk to one of our dedicated Marsh insurance brokers.

Generally speaking, no. However, you can apply for an extension on your contract works policy to include them.

The extension would cover your tools and equipment for damage, loss or theft up to an agreed insured sum. If you’re applying for a new policy, be sure to tell your broker you’d like to add this on.

The answer will vary from insurer to insurer. Your policy may look different depending on who provides it – and inclusions may only apply to certain projects.

Generally speaking, a typical contract works policy can cover physical loss or damage to buildings, materials, temporary works and construction-related equipment. 

This might be due to:

  • Fire

  • Theft

  • Vandalism

  • Construction collapse

  • Storm and flood damage

  • Natural catastrophes – earthquakes and cyclones.

Between material damage insurance and public liability insurance – two standard covers under a contract works policy – it can also cover legal liability for third-party injury and property damage.

Single project cover is a policy procured on a case-by-case or ad hoc basis. Some businesses need this under a contractual obligation.

Generally speaking, it’s most beneficial for projects that are at high risk of natural catastrophes. Large-scale construction projects, more complex in nature, also benefit greatly from this form of cover.

Contrary to single project cover, we can also arrange contract works insurance on an annual basis. This form is called annual blanket cover. 

It’s most beneficial for builders and construction companies who complete multiple projects in a year. They might need cover that includes pre-agreed parameters and limits for many projects under a single policy.

Related insurance solutions

slected option

Engineering insurance

For engineers, careful risk management is key. Let us arrange insurance tailored to you – so you can stay focused on innovation.

Subcontractor insurance

Subcontractors aren’t always covered by a builder’s insurance – even if the building site is. Let us arrange cover to help protect you.

Tradies insurance

Our experienced trades team can arrange comprehensive cover at competitive rates – and get you a certificate of currency on the same day.

Business interruption

A storm, cyber attack or machinery breakdown can grind your business to a halt. Arrange business interruption cover to keep things moving.

Cybersecurity insurance

Cyber attacks are becoming increasingly common. Help protect your small business with cyber insurance solutions arranged by Marsh.

Personal accident cover

With personal accident cover you can be sure your medical expenses are covered in the event of an on-the-job injury.

*Interest and additional fees are applicable. Terms and conditions apply.

LCPA 23/144 

Marsh Advantage Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 31 081 358 303, AFSL 238369) (“Marsh”) arranges the general insurance (i.e. not the Discretionary Trust Arrangement) and is not the insurer. This page contains general information and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. For full details of the terms, conditions and limitations of the covers, refer to the specific policy wordings and/or Product Disclosure Statements available from Marsh on request. Marsh makes no representation or warranty concerning the application of policy wordings or the financial condition or solvency of insurers or re-insurers. Marsh makes no assurances regarding the availability, cost, or terms of insurance coverage. Any statements concerning actuarial, tax, accounting, or legal matters are based solely on our experience as insurance brokers and risk consultants and are not to be relied upon as actuarial, accounting, tax, or legal advice, for which you should consult your own professional advisors. The Discretionary Trust Arrangement is issued by the Trustee, JLT Group Services Pty Ltd (ABN 26 004 485 214, AFSL 417964) (“JGS”). Any advice or dealing in relation to the Discretionary Trust Arrangement is provided by JLT Risk Solutions Pty Ltd (ABN 69 009 098 864, AFSL 226 827) (“JLT”). JGS and JLT are businesses of Marsh McLennan. The cover provided by the Discretionary Trust Arrangement is subject to the Trustee’s discretion and/or the relevant policy terms, conditions and exclusions.