Skip to main content


Tax agent insurance

Comprehensive insurance cover for your tax business, by the leaders in insurance broking and risk management.

What insurance might I need to consider as a tax agent?

Clients seek tax advice because tax is complex.

But regardless of your level of expertise as a tax agent, things can still go wrong. Errors or omissions in your advice or services could have costly financial and legal consequences.

That’s why, to renew your registration with the Australian Tax Practitioners Board requires you to hold a minimum level of professional indemnity cover if your turnover is over a certain amount*.

What’s covered?

  • Up to $10 million professional indemnity cover

    The limit of liability is the maximum amount that can be provided under the insurance policy.

  •  Breach of duty

    Cover for claims from alleged breaches of fiduciary duty in the performance of professional services.

  • Defamation

    Cover for claims for defamation, libel and slander committed in the performance of professional services.

  • reach of privacy or confidentiality and intellectual property infringement

    Cover for claims alleging breaches of privacy law or confidentiality, and cover for breaches of intellectual property rights in relation to trade secrets and patents.

  • Lost or damaged documents

    $500,000 sub limit for claims arising from loss or damage to third party documents.

  • 7 years automatic run-off cover

    Applicable to IT consultants, management consultants, miscellaneous professions, multimedia consultants, recruitment consultants and travel agents (subject to policy wording terms and conditions).

  •  Public liability as an optional extension

    Help protect your business against third party claims resulting from accidents or injuries that occur as a result of your business activities with public liability insurance.

Cover options and pricing examples

When calculating insurance prices for Professional Indemnity (PI) coverage for tax agents, several factors are typically taken into consideration, such as cover liability limits, business annual turnover, geographic location and additional services provided.


Selected activities

Selected business annual turnover

Selected cover limit of liability

Cost starting from*

Accounts preparation and bookkeeping



$635 annually

Taxation / GST



$836 annually

Taxation / GST; Accounting software



$1,208 annually


* The price indicated is for policy premium only and is exclusive of GST, stamp duty, levies, service/broker fees, and credit card surcharge where such additional fees apply. Premium prices may start at this price and are subject to fluctuate depending on the level of risk/cover chosen when applying for cover as determined by the relevant insurer. 

We leverage our strong market relationships to help deliver competitive insurance policies. Choose from limits of liability (up to $10 million), activities and other business attributes. 

Additional cover we can arrange

Product and services

Public liability insurance

Protect your business against third-party accidents and costly legal fees. Let us arrange the right cover for your needs.

Learn More

Product and services

Management liability cover

Protect your business – and your team – against management and operational risks with management liability cover.

Learn more

Product and services

Business insurance

Looking for specialist expertise? Our brokers will tailor business cover for you – no matter your industry.

Learn more

Why Marsh?

Why should you choose Marsh to arrange your insurance solutions?

Trusted by 130 associations

We are proud to be the endorsed insurance broker for more than 130 Australian industry groups and member associations, developing insurance solutions that help meet the risk and insurance needs of businesses across a variety of industries.

Local expertise

Our Australia-wide network of brokers have spent years at the coalface supporting business owners manage their unique risks in a fast-changing market. They keep ahead of the latest market insights both local and global and break down the jargon into your language.

Claims support

Handling an insurance claim can quickly become overwhelming, not least when your time is stretched to the limit keeping your business going in the backdrop. We help take the load off and manage, negotiate and settle claims with insurers on your behalf.

TPB compliance

We can help arrange professional indemnity insurance that may satisfy the minimum requirements specified by the Australian Tax Practitioners Board*.

Award-winning expertise

Marsh is a recognised industry leader, winning Large Broking Company of the Year numerous times at the Australian Insurance Industry Awards.

Tailored insurance options

Regardless of the type of tax advice or service you provide, our brokers can help find insurance cover that meets your business needs.

Why use a broker?

Choosing business insurance means navigating through products, coverages and policy terminology – with a sales pitch as your only guide. An experienced broker will spot your unique set of risks, match you to the right choice, and advocate for you on price.

Frequently asked questions

The risk exposures of each business can differ based on a variety of factors. Some known and emerging exposures you may face include:

  • Negligence or breach of duty allegations from disgruntled customers 

  • Injury or property damage claims from a third party 

  • Property damage due to natural disaster 

  • Cyber attacks if your customer or business data is stored by a third party, including accounting software and tools.

Claims made means that you (the insured) are covered for claims made against you during the current term of insurance. Even if the incident happened in the past.

Professional indemnity policies provide a 'claims made' basis of cover. This is because advice or service errors in many professions may not be discovered until months or even years after the mistake was made.

Therefore, a professional indemnity policy or 'run-off' policy must be in place for a claim to be met by an insurer.

It’s also important to note that, if the limit of indemnity was changed, the limit that applies is the one purchased when the claim is notified – not when the work was completed.

Our team supports tax agents by providing risk and insurance advice that’s tailored to your unique risk exposures.

Packages we recommend you consider include:

  • Professional indemnity insurance  

  • Public liability insurance.

A certificate of currency is proof that you hold a current insurance policy.

Please contact us once you have paid for your policy and we will provide you with your certificate of currency.

Insurers use a range of details to calculate your insurance premium. These include your:

  • Level of cover 

  • Business turnover 

  • Prior claims history.

Insurers may also factor in the number of claims they expect to receive in a year for a particular business type.

To arrange a quote, talk to us today. We’ll help you understand your business risks and arrange appropriate cover to meet your insurance needs.

Depending on the turnover of your business and services offered tax agents are required to hold a minimum indemnity limit for their professional indemnity cover in order to renew their registration with the Australian Tax Practitioner Board*.

This standard is an ongoing registration requirement and is in line with the Code of Professional Conduct.

Find out more on the Australian Tax Practitioners Board website.

Related insurance solutions

slected option

Accountancy insurance

You can count on Marsh to arrange insurance solutions to help protect you and your firm with comprehensive cover.


Bookkeeping insurance

When incidents occur, keep your financial firm running smoothly. Let us arrange comprehensive insurance for you.


Insurance for financial planners

Costly claims can be hard to recover from – even for a financial planner. Help protect yourself with cover arranged by Marsh.

Mortgage broker insurance

You find the right mortgage rates for your clients. We arrange competitive cover rates for you. Put your insurance in our expert hands.

Insurance for lawyers

Need to make a claim? We’re in your corner. Help keep your legal practice protected with insurance arranged by Marsh. 

Business insurance

Looking for specialist expertise? Our brokers will tailor business cover for you – no matter your industry. 

Cybersecurity insurance

Cyber attacks are becoming increasingly common. Help protect your small business with cyber insurance solutions arranged by Marsh.

LCPA 24/156

Marsh Advantage Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 31 081 358 303, AFSL 238369) (“Marsh”) arranges the general insurance (i.e. not the Discretionary Trust Arrangement) and is not the insurer. This page contains general information and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. For full details of the terms, conditions and limitations of the covers, refer to the specific policy wordings and/or Product Disclosure Statements available from Marsh on request. Marsh makes no representation or warranty concerning the application of policy wordings or the financial condition or solvency of insurers or re-insurers. Marsh makes no assurances regarding the availability, cost, or terms of insurance coverage. Any statements concerning actuarial, tax, accounting, or legal matters are based solely on our experience as insurance brokers and risk consultants and are not to be relied upon as actuarial, accounting, tax, or legal advice, for which you should consult your own professional advisors. The Discretionary Trust Arrangement is issued by the Trustee, JLT Group Services Pty Ltd (ABN 26 004 485 214, AFSL 417964) (“JGS”). Any advice or dealing in relation to the Discretionary Trust Arrangement is provided by JLT Risk Solutions Pty Ltd (ABN 69 009 098 864, AFSL 226 827) (“JLT”). JGS and JLT are businesses of Marsh McLennan. The cover provided by the Discretionary Trust Arrangement is subject to the Trustee’s discretion and/or the relevant policy terms, conditions and exclusions.

*For full details, please refer to the Tax Practitioners Board article: Professional indemnity insurance. It is your responsibility to assess whether a professional indemnity insurance policy is adequate for your business and risks in accordance with the Tax Practitioners Board’s requirements. Information correct as at 14 March 2023.